Friday, November 01, 2013

Sungai Rengit: What and where to Eat. Yummy!

Today is Halloween. In my own culture, it is never part of our 'habit' to celebrate this event. But in my adopted country, this is big! The children are looking forward for "trick or treat" in their disguises. Houses are well decorated with pumpkins, scared crows and some other scary things such as wicked face of a witch, ghost, skull... It becomes part of my activities with my children, to curve the pumpkins into the Jack O lanterns. Right now, it is raining heavily here. Ironically, this is the warmest weather for this whole week, at around 17 deg C. It had been a cold week at 4-7 deg C and temperature dropped to under 0 at night. Not a best day to go out for candies, but hopefully the rain will subside in the later evening.
These few days, i had been missing home (my homeland) terribly. Can't wait to go back and tuck in to those food which i ate growing up. So, i would share about food here today! Yum yum... I am a vegetarian now, so i don't really eat those things back home anymore. I feel hesitate to kind of "promote" eating seafood at my blog, but unfortunately, this is a big part of what my hometown is about. 

Pictures are taken from either facebook or this blog:
http://johorkaki.blogspot.ca/2012/07/lobsters-jade-garden-in-sungai-rengit.html?spref=fb



This is a simple map from Johor Kaki blog about the location of the major seafood restaurant in Sungai Rengit. My family personally prefer Sungai Rengit (Si Wan as above) Seafood Restaurant, but the restaurant was caught on fire one month ago. Probably had been rebuilt by now. If you come from the direction of Kota Tinggi and choose to drive through the town instead of choosing the fork road goes by the sea, then Si Wan is the first seafood restaurant you would see at the left.


This is kind of the more popular tourist restaurant as it had won the Singaporean TV program as one of the best restaurant in Johor. It is kind of popular to the local too, as they don't serve pork here. So if you have an Indonesian muslim maid, you probably will choose to eat here. I personally think their service is the worst during the weekend, when the restaurant is jam packed with all the tourists. I would go next door.


The restaurant at the right of the picture, Sin Kong, is just right in front of Jade Garden. The last time i heard someone talked about here was from my sister. She went for a take away of some kind of seafood noodle and my mom said, she had been charged with a 'tourist rate'. I am not sure what does it means. 
I knew nothing much about the restaurant at the left of the picture, Hyann. It had been changing name a lot since my childhood. But the small shop beside of this restaurant is selling ais kacang 红豆冰 by the same owner since i was in primary school. Go for the ais kacang!



At the left, Super Lobster, i would say this is the newest restaurant of all. Again, i don't know a clue about this restaurant. 
At the right, You Kee, just right beside of Jade Garden, have been there since my primary school year. I still remember went there to eat with my teachers and classmates after some kind of school activities. It was a rewards from the school to us.

If you are not the fan of seafood like me, there are something even vegan can eat as well! They are way cheaper, authentically local and they taste great!


This picture was took by Joane Yeo, i took it from her facebook. According to her, these ota 乌打 were good. You can buy it just right at the walk path of the photo shop, opposite to the taxi station of Sungai Rengit. (顺顺乌打,四湾美美相馆店外面在卖)


So, this is what i mean by saying that, even vegan can eat: soy milk 豆奶 and bean curbs 豆花. The black thing, i think is black glutinous rice 黑糯米, which you eat with coconut milk 椰奶. The other picture is the deep fried prawn cake 炸虾饼. The owner of the stall was selling it for as long as i can remember. After he passed away, his son-in-law took over the cart to continue the business. Try to find the cart just some where by the road. In my memory, it moves around! (Picture from Sons of the Sea facebook page.)


 The two dishes above, i ate them as breakfast throughout my childhood. The below is wanton noodle 云吞面 and the above is "pig intestine roll" 猪肠粉. The "pig intestine roll" is basically make with flour, with pork and prawn inside the roll, steamed. You could order just the roll, without the meat inside as well, which make it vegan! Serve with diluted soy sauce and chili. The shop used to be beside of Tai Hoe hotel or Am Bank, right across the Sungai Rengit taxi station. But i sister told me that, it had moved to the same row of shop houses with the ais kacang shop. (Picture from Sons of the Sea facebook page.)

2 comments:

? said...

Hi. Came across your blog as I was researching on Pengerang cycling. My friends and I intend to stay over on the 1st wkend of Apr 2014. I was just wondering if you know whether there will be a night market at that night. Someone told me they go by some schedule but I am not clear about it. Any help will be most appreciated. Thank you, Kee Hong

shenjiaqing said...

Hi Kee Hong,

The night market is on the 4th and 18th of the month.
Have a good trip.